Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Composting: A New Year's Resolution Complete

I am so happy to report that I have completed a New Year's Resolution and have officially started composting.  It was so easy to get started.  I followed the simple instructions on http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/


Drilling holes was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Using simple Rubbermaid like containers is all you need to get started.  Luckily I had 2 generic ones in my garage that were collecting dust so that is what I used. 

Start by drilling holes evenly around the lid of the container.  Maybe a few in the middle to allow for aeration.  Then flip the container over and drill a few holes on the bottom for drainage. 

Don't get too excited.  He didn't help for long. 

Next, start to add your shtuff to your bin.  Start with a layer of shredded newspaper.  Then add some dried leaves.  Water this down but don't drown it.  Finally, add your kitchen scraps (fruits and veggie bits, egg shells, etc) and put a lid on it. 


Not much but it's a start.  I need the neighbors coffee grounds now.

Make sure to turn your mixture every 3 or 4 weeks to mix it up.  It will start to turn into compost soil within a few months.  I made two bins mainly because I had two but I figured I could get one going and then go back and forth.  I don't think I will have enough soil for this year's garden but you never know.  Hopefully worms will find their way in as well.  That makes it even better!

These two frugal compost bins have made a home behind my garage.

We now keep a bowl in the kitchen for kitchen scraps and Rowdy is learning what we can compost.  Then when it fills up, Rowdy runs it out to the bin.  He is really learning alot about what we can do to lighten our footprint on the world.  That makes it all worth while.




No comments:

Post a Comment